If I saw a blot post title that said “cork art” it would serve as the immediate red flag preparing me for something hideous. People do truly terrible and tasteless things using wine corks.
Despite the typically tacky fate, I understand and share the mutual desire to use these little barriers in creative ways. I like the color, the aesthetic, and the fact that it’s the only thing separating me from that scrumptious nectar within. Hopefully you'll agree that we used cork in a way that doesn't rouse your gag reflex.
We started this project because we wanted something interesting behind the dart board. Because it ended up looking pretty sweet and it would have required every cork under the Tuscan sun to cover our intended area, we decided to stop at this size and hang it in the dining room.
This took more corks that we anticipated. Thanks goes out to our fellow wine-drinking friends for the supplemental art supply. Of particular note is our roommates parental units, the often drunk Greg and Carol of Vermont who shipped in a box full! Other materials: plywood, mastic, construction adhesive, polyurethane and a few picture hanging supplies.
Initially I used some leftover mastic (from the kitchen backsplash) and just pressed each cork in like a tile. I went completely random, which provided a nice mix of colors and height.
The mastic worked okay, but construction adhesive proved vital for completing the edges and reinforcing loose corks throughout the center area. For the edges I allowed the corks to dictate the somewhat organic lines and tried to keep thought OUT of the process (a gift in which I excel).
Once everything was securely in place, about ten coats of leftover glossy polyurethane (from the floors) was applied over the course of a few weeks using a paint brush.